1.15.2017

2017 Quilting Goals

Like many, as 2016 was coming to a close and 2017 commenced, I reviewed a fairly successful year in quilting and began to plan for the coming year. A few things came to mind, but the first was that I needed to focus on what I've got. For the last couple of years, I've consciously been acquiring new fabrics, patterns and a lovely new sewing machine. My studio is overflowing, and I need to focus my cashflow on a family trip to Southern California this summer. The two combined led me focus 2017 on finishing some of the many projects I've started, planned and/or purchased supplies for.

Goal #1: Only purchase supplies as actually needed for continuing a project under active work.

Goal #2: Emphasize finishing existing UFO's.

To help me maintain some of this motivation, I've joined American Patchwork and Quilting's 2017 UFO Challenge along with many members of the Omaha Modern Quilt Guild. The Facebook group has been great so far fun with participants from around the globe and in my backyard. You can follow our guild's progress by tracking the hashtag #omqg17ufo and the whole project at #apqresolution.

I've followed the #finishalong tag for awhile and this post will includes my goals for the first quarter:

  • I volunteered to contribute the February raffle prize for the Omaha Modern Quilt Guild. This is actually already finished as it seemed easiest to deliver it at the January meeting held January 3. In September, I nabbed a stack of vintage crazy quilt blocks someone had gone to a lot of work to finish but not set into a quilt. I used the first sixteen for a Christmas quilt for my mom. One of the orphan blocks became a vintage mini for the OMQG raffle. I have one remaining block and will finish it up in a similar way for the Lincoln Quilters Guild that will start its 2017 program year in March.
  • Nebraska is celebrating 150 years of statehood in 2017. The Nebraska State Quilt Guild is sponsoring a quilt competition. My entry is entitled "Nebraska Gold" and depicts a combine unloading a load of corn into a semi truck trailer. It is improv strip pieced and made of fabrics from my stash. I completed the "cone of corn" during a guild workshop in October led by quilter Kris Kahn. As the entry deadline is tomorrow, January 15 I finished it up last week to submit yesterday. There is a competition component with the top prize including a lovely cash award and acquisition by the International Quilt Study Center and Museum. I don't expect to win, but it would make me ecstatic to be included in the six honorable mentions that get to travel the state during the celebration year with the top three finishers.
  • I am participating in the first Modern Quilt Guild Miniquilt Swap. I am wavering between a scaled down excerpt from Allison Glass' Feathers or Lady Harvatine's January Block. I need to decide soon as it's next up for me to do and ship by February 1 or so. :) I have pulled some lovely batiks and will, of course, include my favorite Kona gray, Charcoal.
  • At the Nebraska State Fair, we have an awesome quilt show. One of the special categories is for quilts based on a child’s artwork. Last summer during the Pokemon craze, Henry made the most amazing Pokemon ball craft that I immediately thought should be a quilt. If I want my super-amazing, best longarmer in the country quilt guild friend to quilt it and have it back by summer fair season, I need to get it to her by mid-February.
  • I have two baby quilts and a big girl quilt that need to be done by mid-May so they should each get a start, too.

Whew! I am going to be busy! I can only hope for a lot of snow days where we keep our electricity!

Goal #3. Sew with Anne.

Anne is now eight which, among other things, means she is a full-fledged 4-Her this year. One of the projects she has long been interested in participating is quilting. We’ve already drafted plans and acquired supplies for a quilt for her American Girl Doll, a Quilt of Valor, and a skirt for the county fair the last week of July.

Goal #4:Quilt for Good

I’ve made a lot of quilts to be gifts for others. In fact, I have very few of the quilts I’ve made in the last ten years, but I have not been as active as many other quilters in making quilts for good or charity quilts. This year I plan to make at least one Quilt for Kids and one Quilt of Valor (not counting Anne’s).

On project that has been brewing in the back of my mind for awhile is making new paraments or altar cloths for our church. We go to a small country church, literally in a cornfield, and members pitch in to do all the projects. George has been rebuilding windows for over a year now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple Shrimp Gyro Sliders

My trip to Costco last week was the entire inspiration behind this particular discovery. Giant juicy shrimp, tangy tzatziki sauce, and mini ...