1.28.2017

Corn: Nebraska Gold

Nebraska is celebrating its 150th birthday this year, and one of the many celebratory activities is a quilt competition hosted by the Nebraska State Quit Guild. I was fortunate to have a sneak peek during the Lincoln Quilters Guild Biennial Quilt Show in October and was inspired to participate.

As harvest season was upon us, I wanted to submit a quilt that honored Nebraska agriculture, our number one industry. As a lifelong Nebraska corn farmer, it seemed a good option to pursue. I was also fascinated by how to depict actual corn.

I was able to get a good start ... specifically on the actual corn part ... at a Lincoln Quilters Guild class taught by Kris Kahn, a friend from the Omaha Modern Quilt Guild. The rest of it waited until after the holidays but went together nicely.

While I wanted the final product to be recognizable, I also wanted it to be a distinctly modern depiction. The entire piece is improv strip-pieced using a mix of scrap fabrics, fabrics shared by friends at the class, and Kona solids.

Image Credit: Sheila Green

It is one of 37 submissions and will hang at the International Quilt Study Center and Museum in Lincoln through February 25 and again on National Quilting Day. There are prizes. I don't have expectations of winning, though it would be cool to have my quilt included in the honorable mention group simply so it could travel the state and be a part of local Nebraska 150 celebrations over the next year.

This post is linked up to Sew Can She's Show Off Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple Shrimp Gyro Sliders

My trip to Costco last week was the entire inspiration behind this particular discovery. Giant juicy shrimp, tangy tzatziki sauce, and mini ...