4.19.2015

Cook the Book - Smothered Pork Chops with Onions and Bacon from America's Test Kitchen's Slow Cooker Revolution

I love cookbooks. They are great to collect. Some are a good cover to cover read; I mark the recipes that sound like something my family will eat with little sticky notes along the way. The last few years, I have acquired a whole shelf of books from America's Test Kitchen. Slow cooker Revolution is one of my most used ATK books.

While I know that ATK recipes are tested and really do work best when all of the seemingly random ingredients are included and measured precisely and all the instructions are followed to a T, in this case, I've found a couple of modifications that work better for my household's tastes. My adaptation follows.

Two nights later, the leftovers made excellent Green Chile Pork Burrito Bowls.

Smothered Pork Chops with Onions and Bacon

Adapted from Slow Cooker Revolution, page 109

8 6 oz. bone-in pork chops, seasoned with salt and pepper and browned
6 oz bacon, chopped and browned
2 onions, sliced or roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 c. reduced sodium chicken broth

Layer pork chops in the bottom of a slow cooker. Toss the next four ingredients to combine. Layer on top of chops. Pour chicken broth over mixture.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple Shrimp Gyro Sliders

My trip to Costco last week was the entire inspiration behind this particular discovery. Giant juicy shrimp, tangy tzatziki sauce, and mini ...