2.22.2019

Two-Ingredient Shredded Chicken Taco Filling for the Instant Pot

I finally caved and bought myself an Instant Pot when Kohl's was practically giving them away before Thanksgiving - on major sale plus Kohl's Cash! My main hesitation was having yet another kitchen appliance taking up space in my no-storage kitchen. When I bought it, I committed to using it at least once per week so it could earn its keep. Most things have been a success. Some are now in the regular rotation. I'd talked about it quite a bit at work and had a chance to show it off for a team potluck to commemorate one of my co-worker's last day.

Long before I'd heard of an Instant Pot, I'd become a dedicated Penzey's customer. Their herbs and spices are high-quality and at a price that works in our budget. Their blends have introduced great new flavors to our lives. One of our favorite groups of products are the taco/fajita/chili products. The Chicken Taco Seasoning blend is hands-down a favorite. I buy it in the big bag and refill my jar.

arts&craftshome_ChickenTacoIP

On this particular day, I got to show off many of the Instant Pot's cooking functions: Pressure Cooking, Slow Cooking and Saute. I arrived at work with frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts and by lunch had perfect shredded chicken. The pressure cooking chicken preset left me with fully-cooked, tender, ready-to-be-shredded chicken. After shredding, I added two tablespoons of Chicken Taco Seasoning per pound of chicken, reset the lid and put it on the slow cooker setting. When set-up for lunch was getting started, I opened the lid and turned on the sauté function to cook off the excess liquid. Being able to do all of these functions with only one thing to wash is exactly what I love most about the Instant Pot!

Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Taco Filling

2.5 lbs. frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4-6 tablespoons Penzey's Chicken Taco Seasoning
  1. Put the frozen chicken in the bottom of the instant pot liner. Seal the lid. Use the Poultry setting on high pressure for 40 minutes.
  2. Shred chicken. I use a tongs and "squish" the chicken leaving bite-sized pieces.
  3. Add seasoning. I wait to season until this step so it doesn't burn. If you won't be using the slow cooker setting, it can be added before the initial cooking phase.
  4. Seal the lid and use the slow cooker function until 10-15 minutes before serving.
  5. Open the lid. Use the sauté function to cook off any excess liquid.
  6. Serve with corn or flour tortillas, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, olives, cheese, salsa and guacamole. Or, on a salad, in an enchilada, on a rice bowl, on a baked potato, in a quesadilla, or any number of other uses for seasoned shredded chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple Shrimp Gyro Sliders

My trip to Costco last week was the entire inspiration behind this particular discovery. Giant juicy shrimp, tangy tzatziki sauce, and mini ...